Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Discombobulation ...


Psychologists say that moving and starting a new job are two of the most stressful activities a person can undertake.  (I believe marriage, divorce, and death of a loved one are the others included in the top five.)  While learning the names of new streets, new people, and new places has definitely been an adventure, I think the most interesting part of beginning my new position at Temple Israel of West Palm Beach has been stepping into people's ongoing narratives. 

I have to remember that I jumped into folks' lives mid-stream.  They were in the middle of summer vacation, in the middle of illness, and the middle of their jobs.  I've jumped into a synagogue going through transition for several years now, where folks are excited about beginning anew, yet really it is also mid-stream since synagogue communities are always in the process of re-newing themselves. 

Trying to get "caught up to speed" regarding not only people's lives, while also learning the how-to's of "how things have been done" has been challenging ... and, despite my best efforts to be intentional about learning it all as fast as I could, I have to admit that I've accidentally missed a few things here and there along the way.  Yes, there have been a couple of potholes, small ones, but potholes nonetheless.  Unfortunately, these (thankfully few) accidental gaffes have been minor, but they have reinforced the idea of the importance of narrative in my life ... and the challenges of jumping in mid-stream into someone else's.

My hope is that folks will engage in the teachings of the month of Elul and realize that these gaffes and, more importantly, any differences in the ways are now done are not personal .. and that they realize they have also jumped into my life mid-stream.  There will be a "new normal" here at Temple Israel while we figure each other out and it will take a little bit of patience to build trust with each other ... but we will figure each other out. 

I looked at the calendar today and realized it has been a tad more than 2 months since I moved from Texas to Florida ... I also reminded myself to have a little patience because it will take a little longer than I expected before I feel like I didn't step in mid-stream and before I feel like I am part of the story.  However, I am confident that, working together, I will become part of, and we will build, a great new narrative for Temple Israel.   : )

No comments:

Post a Comment