Sunday, September 16, 2012

On an Unexpected Path This New Year ...

So many last minute pieces to finish the puzzle ... as I said in my sermon this past Friday: "The HHDs are coming!  The HHDs are coming!"

Tonight we begin celebrating the Jewish New Year, the year of 5773 to be exact.  We eat round challah to remind us of the circle of time.  We dip apples into honey in hopes of a sweet year, and we celebrate with family and friends.  More importantly, though, this is a time for reflection.  The season change is upon us. 

When I think back to where I was a year ago, I cannot believe the journey I have taken.  Interviewing all over the country and having the luxury to be able to choose the community I wanted to work with was definitely one highlight of the past year, but there were so many others ... there were the sweet and bittersweet goodbyes from all those I loved in Austin, seeing my first B'nai Mitzvah kids there enter high school, and watching the babies I met graduate from pre-school.  Austin helped me find myself and who I wanted to become ... it changed me forever.

And now I begin a new year in West Palm Beach.  In a million years, I could never have imagined that my journey would lead me all over the country from my childhood home in Georgia, to come back to a place my dad always wanted to live (he even went so far as to buy a lot here for our family to build a home on someday).  It is strange the paths we end up on, unintentionally sometimes, but West Palm Beach is beginning to feel like home.

Shanah tovah u'metukah ... may we all have a good and sweet year to come ... who knows where our journeys will take us?   : )

No comments:

Post a Comment