Friday, April 16, 2010

Making Jews ...

My home rabbi and I talked once about what it meant to be a rabbi and he said something that I won't forget for a long time ... he said it was about "making Jews."  While my rabbi didn't only mean helping people convert (but rather helping folks learn more about their own religion and figure out what their Judaism means to them), today was a particularly cool day because I helped a fellow become Jewish. 

He underwent "hatafat dam" (ritual bloodletting for those who are already circumcised), was questioned by a "beit din" (court of three knowledgeable Jews who make the decision regarding whether someone should/can join the Jewish people), and went to the "mikveh" (a ritual immersion).  

Before Shabbat morning services tomorrow, when his daughter becomes a Bat Mitzvah by saying the blessing before and after and reading from the Torah, we will hold a brief public ceremony where he will stand before the open Ark, hold the Torah, and officially become Jewish.  He has had quite a journey to becoming Jewish ... how cool it is to be part of something so special.  I love this part of my job.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment